Welcome to GSM Issue #20 – a cornucopia of content…
- INSPIRATION: FOR THE PEOPLE… BY THE PEOPLE
Starting an indie creative studio—is no mean feat. But making it work and seeing it grow is the litmus test. In this instalment of Inspiration—the good folks at For The People share their thoughts on the journey up and what it takes to get there.
- RĀKAU KŌRERO: TALKING STICK
Our new regular article Rākau Kōrero (Talking Stick)—provides a platform for discussing Māori culture—particularly how this relates to our industry through considered, appropriate use built on inclusion and engagement.
- QUICK CHAT PRINT: PROVINCIAL PRINT
Proving there is life outside the main centres—Matt Costello, owner of Blenheim Print and sister company Anchor Print, shares the pros and cons of doing business in provincial New Zealand.
- EDUCATION: PACKAGING BOARDS
Card-based packaging is only as good as the board stock from which it’s constructed. And there’s a lot to consider. To help out, Brett Keen from New Zealand’s Whakatane Mill shines some light on their grades of specialist packaging boards.
- INPRINT: Another curated selection of fab print designs as submitted by our readers.
- SPECIAL FEATURE: STUDENT CALENDAR CONTEST
The BJ Ball/Ball & Doggett student calendar contest happened again in 2022—and for the first time, it was open to entries from both New Zealand and Australia. We take a look at the winners.
- CASE STUDY: STAPPA WINES
In a world bursting with designs created in full colour—this branding and labelling project recently caught our eye for the opposite reason—the effective use of an ultra-constrained palette.
- SPECIAL FEATURE: CLASS OF ‘22
We look at two fantastic print-based projects that did rather well at the 2022 Best and AGDA awards.
- ENVIRONMENT: PAPER PACKAGING—NATURALLY
George Tzintzis from The Real Media Collective shares his views on the sustainability of paper-based packaging.
- CASE STUDY: FLAVOURS TO SAVOUR
This beautiful case bound recipe book combines stunning food photography and layout in an oversized format.
- STUDENT LIFE: PORTFOLIOS
Annie McCulloch from Portfolio Recruitment shares her thoughts on creating that all-important first portfolio.
- FEATURED STOCKS ISSUE #20: STOCK & PRINT SPECS
- GSM Cover printed 2 PMS inks + CMYK Formakote White 260gsm
- GSM Text printed CMYK on Sumo Matt 113gsm
- GSM Inprint printed CMYK on Superfine Smooth Ultra White 104gsm