Did you know somewhere near 270 billion emails are sent worldwide each day?! Nowadays, it’s our inbox that’s full of junk mail, not our letterbox! GSM looks at the rejuvenation of Direct Mail campaigns…
Direct Mail is, now more than ever, a valuable tool in our multi-channel Marketing Strategy. It offers exclusivity, value and ongoing brand positioning and reassurance. It achieves the ultimate ROI, higher response rates and contributes on the path to purchase journey.
Firstly, it’s tactile and, unlike it’s digital counterpart, tends to hang around for a while. The latest DMA Response Rate report revealed recipients opened 92 % of DM and it stayed in the home for 38 days. The tactility of DM creates an emotionality and neuroscience triggers of physical marketing tools create stronger cut-through.
Secondly, Automated Direct Marketing works perfectly with CRM, Marketing Automation or CDP tools to both target and personalise your campaign. This means the content is meaningful to the recipient and that equals engagement. Engagement , in turn, delivers strong brand equity and sales.
Thirdly, it acts as a pattern interrupt. Especially for those customers who have only ever interacted with your brand digitally.
And the best part, we can track and measure everything, making it easy to calculate the ROI of your campaign.
Advantages of Direct Mail:
- DM drives higher response rates. An averaged 4.4% response rate compared to email’s average response rate of 0.12%
- Trust. Of all advertising channels, consumers trust print the most when making a purchasing decision. According to Marketing Sherpa 76% of people trust ads they receive in the mail.
- Traffic. On average, people receive 121 emails per day. This makes it incredibly hard work to cut through the noise and win a response.
- Novelty. People consider receiving mail these days a novelty. Whether addressed or unaddressed to the householder, smart brands are pushing brand value and awareness through catalogues, magalogues and direct mail.
Response Rates for Direct Mail:
- For house lists DM received a 9% response rate in 2018
- For prospect lists the response rate was 4.9%
- Oversized envelopes have the highest response rate of 5%
- Postcards 4.25%
- Dimensional mail (anything over 2cm thickness) 4%
- Catalogues 3.9%