The next time you receive a magazine or direct mail piece in your letterbox, check out how it is wrapped. It may not be what it seems!
For a long time the plastic wrap has been one of the few ways to ensure your product arrived in pristine condition. Until recently, sourcing an alternative, which is both waterproof and tamper resistant, has been problematic. However, the traditional plastic wrap is finally being replaced with a more eco-friendly and sustainable option – the home compostable wrap. In this article, GSM investigates why investing in a home compostable wrap is good for your brand…
Plastic wrap contributes to the larger plastic pollution crisis. Not only is it difficult to recycle, it is made from potentially harmful chemicals:
- When it ends up in landfills or incinerators, both PVC and PVDC can release a highly toxic chemical called dioxin.
- In marine environments, plastic wrap contributes to an even larger plastic pollution crisis with fish mistaking it for food.
- It’s not good news for humans either. It’s highly unlikely your plastic wrapped sandwich will kill you. However, “if we surround ourselves with PVC and phthalates, they can leach or ooze out of the products. That creates an unwanted exposure.” says Rolf Halden, an environmental scientist at Arizona State University’s Biodesign Institute.
And this is where the BJ Ball Home Compostable Film (HCF) comes into its own. Not only does it reduce the need for plastic, it naturally biodegrades into biomass, carbon dioxide and water in ambient conditions.
Home Compostable Film
This plastic alternative wrap contains 35% natural resources such as sugar cane, cassava and corn as well as a biodegradable nontoxic petrochemical resin. Because of this, it is certified Home Compostable under the European Standard OK Home Compost and the Australian Standard ABA AS 5810.
Home compostable products are the gold standard because you can break them down yourself at home! Compost is easy to make and use, it even reduces your impact on the environment. And, if you don’t have a compost at home, you can donate it to your local community garden.
Benefits of using compostable magazine wrap instead of recyclable film:
- 100% environmentally friendly
Most importantly, the major benefits to the environment are that compostable magazine wrap requires less carbon to produce. It reduces the amount of waste sent to landfill and reduces levels of pollution in the air, groundwater and soil. In addition, it also provides the earth with life-promoting nutrients. On top of this, it helps to conserve resources by reducing the amount of new/virgin materials needed to make packaging.
- Appeals to consumers concerned about their environmental impact
Interestingly, three-quarters of shoppers across Europe prefer to buy from companies that use environmentally friendly packaging. This is according to a 2018 research from leading data provider IRI. That’s already a significant amount of customers and the figure is only likely to increase as younger generations educate themselves in an era of increased environmental awareness.
- Improved return on investment
Coincidentally, although compostable magazine wrap costs a little more than standard wrapping film, companies taking a pro-active action on climate change see a higher return on investment than those who do not. This is mainly due to the fact that companies who use compostable magazine wrap improve their brand image and provide a competitive advantage against others that are not so sustainable.
So here’s the low down on BJ Ball Home Compostable Film (HCF)
- Resistant to water, grease and high temperatures (up to 100°C). BJ Ball HCF is compliant to US FDA and European food safety standards. This makes the film suitable for a wide range of food applications including moist and fatty foods.
- BJ Ball Home Compostable Film (HCF) is a perfect alternative for non-biodegradable plastics in FMCG & food packaging.
- BJ Ball HCF decomposes into biomass, carbon dioxide and water in ambient conditions.
- There is no need for BJ Ball HCF to enter an industrial compost facility. Simply dispose of it in your home compost. It should be noted that this product is not suitable for recycling.
- Made from 35% plant based materials (sugar cane, cassava and corn) / 65% biodegradable non-toxic Petrochemical resin. BJ Ball HCF is certified Home Compostable under the European standard OK Home Compost and the Australian standard ABA AS 5810.
- You can use BJ Ball HCF as a clear substrate on it’s own. It provides excellent printability without any pre-treatment. Or you can apply it as a protective liner to a variety of other substrates.
- BJ Ball HCF has a low heat seal temperature. Plus excellent heat seal strength at a lower thickness compared to many other available bio-plastic options.
- Available thicknesses : 20, 25, 35, 50, 70micron
To find out more, contact BJ Ball Packaging
To read more great articles on the power of print, as well as more innovative products from BJ Ball, purchase an issue of GSM here.